Sunday, January 25, 2009

Watching out for me!


Some days it is obvious the role God is playing in my life and on others it is not. Today I experienced the obvious. Some might say it is Karma or fate or just the things happened, but I believe obstacles were put in my path to save me from being someplace that could have been dangerous.

Friday night my roommate and I went out to Air Play CafĂ© to listen to C. Daniel Boling. We had a fabulous time. I found out another musician, one I have not seen in years, was playing downtown Saturday night. We made a plan to go. The musician we heard Friday was someone she has known for many years and it was like meeting part of her past. The musician we were to hear Saturday night is a part of my past. We were going to go to Kell’s Irish Pub to hear Tom May.

My roommate had a long week and was feeling tired and not really 100% well by Saturday evening. I still had a number of history papers and book reports to grade. Neither of us really wanted to go, but would have if the other still wanted to. Fortunately we have fairly good communication. At seven PM we agreed that we really did not want to go. Maybe we try for a different night, when we were not so tired would better.

At 10:30 Saturday night a man opened fire outside of the pub. 9 people were shot and two of them died. We most likely would have been inside the pub, and most likely we would have been safe, but we were not there at all.

We had been so excited about going out on a Saturday night, but obstacles were put in our way. Was it just the way things go? Some would say yes, I and my roommate believe God was keeping us safe. I guess He has plans for me.

I got a Message Bible from the amazing Imlay's for Christmas - thanks guys. Here are the opening verses of one of my favorite Psalms in a really cool translation.

Psalms 91:1-6 You who sit down in the High God’s presence, spend the night in Shaddai’s shadow, say this: “God, you’re my refuge, I trust in you and I’m safe!” That’s right – he rescues you from hidden traps, shields you from deadly hazards. His huge outstretched arms protect you – under them you’re perfectly safe; his arms fend off harm. Fear nothing – not wild wolves in the night, not flying arrows in the day.

1 comment:

  1. As always...who can say? But it is such mystery that keeps us wondering.

    ReplyDelete